Monday, February 6, 2012

Rocky Mountain Heidi- Literally

     I am currently sitting in my new bedroom for the next two weeks- on the floor in a room with 10 other girls! YWAM Denver has a campus at 8500 feet altitude called Eagle Rock.  A snowboarding DTS is taking place up here this quarter, so we're going to hang out and get to know them better.  My school (Compassion DTS) consists of 21 girls and 4 guys, and the snowboarders DTS contains 9 girls and 31 guys... not complaining ;) Of course, that is NOT why I'm here... my focus us Jesus and Jesus only! What I'm really not complaining about is the beautiful views, hiking, sledding, and snowboarding! I'll have my birthday while I'm up here too which is going to be a blast because that is the day they're taking us snowboarding and/or skiing.  I haven't decided which I'm going to do yet.  I'm conflicted. Half the people here say I should try snowboarding for the first time and the other half warn against it saying I'll spend the whole day on my butt and feeling frustrated.  Opinions? Either way, I'll be wearing a helmet (Mom). Regardless, it will be a memorable 21st birthday, that's for sure (unlike most 21st birthdays... :))
    These two weeks up here will be somewhat of a preparation for outreach for several reasons. We are sleeping on the floor, we could only pack in a backpack, and there is no cell reception.  I am especially excited about the backpack part! Over the weekend, our school directors took us shopping to REI and a couple other outdoor stores. At REI I found a super awesome 85 liter backpacking backpack! I got it on sale for 60 bucks, I'm totally stoked! Purchasing one has pretty much been my life dream.
     Back at the other base in Arvada there are currently about 350 people roaming around.  It is mass chaos! This trip could not have been timed more perfectly.  Outreaches from the previous quarter's DTS all returned over the weekend.  Walking around the past few days has felt like swimming in an ocean of people.  I'm not an exaggerator I promise.  Needless to say, I have not been spending much time alone.  Yesterday, I knew that I needed to get alone with God.  I could feel Him tugging at my heart and wanting me to listen to Him.  So I searched... and I searched... and I searched for a place to be alone.  Finally, I found a small room in the administration building (which I'm pretty sure is off limits), but about 5 minutes into my peace and quiet, a group of people came stomping up the stairs laughing and playing music.  I left feeling frustrated and pretty discouraged.  I genuinely was desiring to just be with God.  And I simply couldn't.  As I processed everything the rest of the day, I began thinking about my times with God. I think lately He's been gently nudging me to be able to listen to Him in a crowded room.  I need to learn to focus my mind on Him because I know He is there listening and waiting.  He does not require that I be the only person within a 75 yard radius before He speaks.  His presence is here with me even in a room of 11 girls.  I'm feeling pretty encouraged because I prayed about the ability to do this, and this morning my quiet time with Him was totally fulfilling, even as I sat on my sleeping bag flanked by two girls on either side.  God is faithful. :)
   I'm sorry that I keep making these so long, feel free to skim or just skip the boring parts... but I am totally loving sharing my life and my heart with y'all.  Thanks for reading. :)

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the backpack! :) Hope these two weeks are more amazing than you can even imagine. I love you, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your blog, Heidi! I have a feeling you're going to have a great two weeks with your girls, leaders and God! Can't wait to see pictures. And my vote for snowboarding vs skiing??? Hot chocolate in the lounge -- wearing a helmet. You can't break any bones that way. BUT ... if you must choose one, I vote skiing. I've seen you ski, remember, and you can ski! So have some fun! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, to add to the conflict, I think you should go SNOWBOARDING! Mainly just because it is something NEW, and you won't spend all day on your butt. I did it and fell a lot, but it was also lots of fun and got better as the day went on. That's awesome that you're learning to listen to God in an unlikely place/crowd. Whenever you share things you're learning like that, it helps challenge your readers (me/us) to consider those things as well, so thanks! And happy birthday week!

    ReplyDelete